Monday, April 13, 2009

SuperMom: The "Why" of Natural Parenting

One of the choices I made a few years ago was that, as a new mom, I was going to be open to new ideas. I’m not ready to say that I have perfected the method of parenting even now, so I still welcome new ways to make myself better as a SuperMom. One of the little joys of my day (and also a great way to catch a mental break from the kids) is sitting down with a good cup of joe and reading parenting magazines like, well, Parenting, Family Fun, Baby Talk, and American Baby. Reading helpful zines like these keep me abreast of the latest in parenting, pediatrics, child development, and research.
I recently came across an article about Natural Parenting. I laughed at first because the initial image that popped into my brain had something to do with disintegrating diapers, organic baby wipes, and solar-powered toys. Don’t get me wrong, I think finding ways to reduce our footprint on the environment is incredibly important. But many of the new “organic” baby ideas can be chalked up to being an expensive fad. See, I’m all about improving the parent-child bond, and that’s where my heart is at 99 percent of the time. Plus many of the organic baby items on the market right now are extremely expensive and cannot be ruled an economic choice.
So you can imagine my assumptions as I began to read what I was sure was just an article on the recent fad.
I was wrong.
Natural Parenting is a method that promotes the healthy growth of the child through an incredibly connected bond between parent and child. Natural Parenting promotes activities like attachment parenting (or baby-wearing,) breastfeeding, co-sleeping, and the gentle guidance approach to discipline. After researching a little more on the subject, I found out that this new Natural Parenting idea was another way of describing what mothers (including my own) had been doing for years. It wasn’t a new idea, it was a revisited one.
Somewhere along the way of becoming a young mother we’ve developed this complex that having a close-knit bond with our children while they are young is going to prevent them from being responsible, independent adults. We envision them 30 years old, living in our basement without a job, while Mom and Dad pay for their Xbox 360 subscription. This notion is ludicrous. More studies done on Natural Parenting families are beginning to show that when a child is raised in a close, secure, safe environment they are more likely to become courageous, independent young adults.
Because society tends to stress the “me, me, me” mentality, mothers have been taught to put their infant down at any given chance. Instead of building a bond over the course of time by extending the nursing or feeding sessions and allowing baby a chance to get to know Momma’s face, voice, and expressions, we’re taught that we will spoil that baby if we hold him too long. I’ve never heard such nonsense. One whole aspect of natural parenting is baby-wearing, where baby is in a sling, carrier, or in the parents arms for most of the day. This allows baby the chance to feel secure with either parent, and allows Daddy a chance to develop the special bond with baby that Momma did during the first nine months. It can be a powerful, effective relaxation tool. When baby is close and feels secure, he’s happier, he’s quieter, and (some studies say) he develops faster. Happier baby means happier parents. Of course there is another side to it. Goodness knows you can’t wear baby when you are cooking, cleaning, or, God knows, using the facilities, but the idea is sound. Keep baby close, in a bassinet, a glider, or a bouncy seat. Talk to him. Make him a part of your every day. Allow him to sleep close to you, in the room where the family is so he becomes used to the sounds of the household. The method is a fantastic way to bring a peace and sense of closeness to young families. When it comes to me, anything is worth trying once if it means a happier, healthier family.
A great resource for parents that are interested in the Natural method is the website http://www.naturalchild.org. This is a free website with articles and information about the Natural method, quotes for parents, an email newsletter, and even a shop directory for natural baby items. Donations are accepted and there is even a phone-counseling service available to help parents in the comfort of their home.
For information about studies done on attachment-parenting families, http://babyreference.com/ is an extremely interesting website with excerpts from Dr. Linda Palmer from Mothering.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment